SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT: A-B-C ReOpening Plan
Our Goal: To implement a balanced reopening strategy that provides for a gradual return to normal worship and ministry activities while minimizing adverse effects upon the people of our Greater Glens Falls community as a whole.
Our Guide: Philippians 2- Therefore if you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any common sharing in the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind. Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others.
A- Assessment - What do we think?
- Issue 1: COVID-19 Severity- We recognize that there are many confusing and conflicting expert opinions regarding the severity of COVID-19. We also admit, with humility, that such an analysis is beyond the scope of our profession, and we support reasonable measures to balance the inherent tension between safety and risk.
- Issue 2: Religious Freedom Concerns- We are committed to patient and measured steps to uphold and exercise our precious religious freedoms. It is also our informed opinion that the State does have long-standing legal precedent for exercising limited powers to restrict religious freedom when: 1. The State has a compelling interest to protect the well-being of all people; 2. That any restrictions imposed are the least restrictive necessary; 3. That such restrictions apply to all and do not specifically target religious people; 4. That such restrictions are temporary. (SEE One of many professional resources: https://firstliberty.org/covid-19/)
- Issue 3: Love For Our Neighbors- Consistent with Philippians 2, we are choosing to respectfully regard the reopening interests of our greater Queensbury community, not just the interests of our church alone.
B- Blueprint - What is our strategy?
- Phased Reopening: We are implementing a Phased Reopening process that will incrementally increase over time, consistent with evolving official guidelines and in step with our community’s needs. We aim to balance our need to pursue healthy living with our responsibility to limit undue risk.
- Hybrid Gatherings^: We will include a variety of events such as continued Livestream Gatherings, occasional Drive-In Style worship gatherings on campus, and resumption of small group meetings. Our final step will be a progressive reopening of our ministry facility for limited worship gatherings in our auditorium, that eventually lead to returning to full capacity.
- ^Health precautions, social distancing, and disinfection protocols will be upheld as necessary.
^Groups up to 10 permitted as of May 20, 2020 with social distancing precautions (https://nyti.ms/3bN6ACT and https://buffalonews.com/2020/05/20/small-religious-gatherings-allowed-starting-thursday/?fbclid=IwAR3VDx8pf2m6TE3xY5ShHTy26klrXivFNk03pm4H05A4y864Hp-cQqVYlLo)
C- Calendar - What is our potential timeline?*
The Governor’s Office has issued a 4 Phase Reopening Process for NYS. Our county is part of the Capital District Region, which began Phase 1 of Reopening on May 20, 2020. There will be 2 weeks until the next Phase is opened, provided there is no resurgence in COVID-19 infections, hospitalizations, and deaths.
Our COTK Targeted Timeline for Reopening: (estimations only)
- Phase 1 (through end of May)- stay at home order still in place, online gatherings continue, phased reopening preparation, occasional drive-in style gatherings begin.
- Phase 2 (through mid-June)- hybrid gathering strategy implemented, small groups resume with precautions, potential small public gatherings resume with social distancing precautions
- Phase 3 and 4 (June - August)- To Be Determined
- *Our timeline must remain flexible in order to help avoid a possible resurgence that could lead to another shut down of our community and extend social, psychological, and economic hardships.
Roger & Doreen Brown
Dinner & Movie
Fight Club Youth Group
One Heart Cry
Band of Brothers
Super Bowl Party